Burlington Parklet Program
What are Street Seats and Parklets?
Street Seats and Parklets are semi-public or completely public spaces created from a platform at sidewalk level that extends the pedestrian zone into the parking lane. They cover one or two parking spaces and include an open, accessible place for people to sit, rest, gather, eat, and socialize.
Street Seats are reserved for use by patrons of a particular establishment or group of businesses during their operating hours and are open to the public during all other hours. Parklets are open to the public at all hours.
Why have these in Burlington?
Street Seats and Parklets can offer many benefits:
- Supports community engagement and enjoyment of public space
- Encourages walkability and cycling by drawing people to the street while fostering a safe, open environment
- Benefits local businesses and the streetscape through improved aesthetics, seating, and street activity
- Can increase business and sales of nearby stores
Interested in loaning a parklet from the Business Support team?
The Business Support team has three (3) parklets, a small seating area created as a public amenity on or alongside a sidewalk, and often in a parking space, that it is able to loan to a Burlington business for the 2022 Season.
Interested parties will need to complete both the Parklet Loan Application and the DPW Street Seat and Parklet application. See the full timeline below. The parklet platform, built-in seating, and one umbrella are the only infrastructure on loan. The parklet does not include plantings, tables, additional chairs, etc. The loanee will be responsible for the daily upkeep and maintenance of the parklet while it is on loan.
- March 14: Parklet Applications due
- March 23: Parklet awardee decisions made
- February 1 – May 1: DPW Street Seat and Parklet application accepted on a rolling basis
- May 15 – June 15: Parklet installation
- October 15: Parklets must be removed from the road